Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Food for thought...

So those of you who know me know this: I. Love. Food. Now, that doesn't mean that I'm really adventurous with food, too many allergies for it really, but that doesn't mean that I'm never up for something new. I love to cook, and I love to go out to eat. I love finding food that I well...love Lol.

So today's topic: Comfort Food. More specifically, take-out/away. No, really. I just finished making dinner, and I sat here eating it thinking, 'This isn't good...sooo not what I actually want...' (not something that happens often). Which of course prompted me to think about what I wanted instead. Would you like to know what I came up with? Why might be the more important question though, something I'd like to know myself.

A Fat Sandwich. With chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks, french fries, and honey mustard sauce. Yeeaaaahhhh.....I've had my cravings for food from home before, but this very quickly went from whimpering and craving to a full blown obsession. It's all I've been able to think about for the past half hour. When can I get one? Can I find one here? Do I have to wait till I get home to get one? Does this mean I'm going food shopping tomorrow and buying what I need to make one? Well, the sooner the better, I don't really know, I really really really hope not, and it looks like it...

Now, I've had some odd cravings before. There's the desire for chips/crisps with nothing on them but salt, or regular potato chips, as I like to call them. I can't find them here, unless I pretend that 'lightly salted' are the same, which as we all know, they're not. All the chips/crisps here come with some kind of flavoring. I like mine plain. As in slice the potato, fry it in oil and cover it in salt. I'll eat those ones with flavour, but nothing beats a bag of Grandma UTZ's hand cooked chips. Nothing. Not Pringles or Cheeto's, or even Doritos. NOTHING.

While we're on the topic of 'chips', Englishtown Fries and Lemonade. From that little mom and pop stall in the first or second building from the entrance by the parking lot. Fries that are piping hot and salted and/or Limeade, Lemonade, or Orangeade that is mixed in front of you. Divine. If you go to Englishtown, you must, absolutely must stop for these before you leave. They'll be closed when I get home, so they'll have to wait a while, but they are SO on my list of things to do when I get home. Who's up for a trip with me????

Stuff Yer Face 'Bolis. Yup Yup. I miss those too. 'Bolis need no explanation. You either know what they are, or you don't. Check the site if you're confused.

Chicken patties and Spicy Beef patties. I blame a certain friend for this, and he knows who he is. They're sold in this little Jamaican place on Easton Ave, and they're like $1.50 each or something. Cheap and amazing. Word of advice, they can be eaten while walking in the rain, but it's not 100% advisable. Yes, I have tried it. They've got good plantains and roti too, I'm just more of a chicken/beef patty girl.

Pizza. This deserves a whole post to itself, but not now lol. Mum, Nan and I went to Italy last month. There were pizza shops all over Rome. I'm not sure whether I expected it or not, but they were there. You couldn't walk more than a block or two without passing one. It fell a bit like being home. Pizza is huge in NJ. Everybody has they're favorite place to get it too. At home, we have two places we regularly go to for pizza. There's the place down Main Street that has good Jersey pizza, it's everything you'd expect it to be, we just like it better than the...I don't know four or five pizza places we pass between there and home. Hey, it's Jersey, when I say everyone has their favorite pizza place, I mean it. Oh, and we call them 'pizza places', not  'pizzerias'. Then there's Gerlanda's. It's on campus, and has great gourmet pizza. There's Margarita, Chicken Parm, St. Peter's, Hawaiian, and my personal favorite, Chicago-Style Spinach. What I wouldn't do for a slice of Chicago-Style Spinach. When I call to order, it's just a given that's what I want. It never lasts the night in our house...well maybe once...

Ugh. This isn't helping. At least I'll be home in eight days. That's a week from tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. Poor you! How funny ... I just blogged about comfort food, too. And there's a recipe exchange contest in the blogosphere this week focused on comfort food, too: http://www.goodlifeeats.com/2010/12/recipe-exchange-homemade-mac-n-cheese.html ... maybe you should enter the Fat Sandwich. ;)

    ReplyDelete